Cybersecurity is more crucial than ever before. Cyber attacks are continually evolving and perpetrators are often multiple steps ahead of the security operations teams responsible for building defenses to protect IT infrastructures. Organizations must build a network architecture that can proactively detect and prevent critical threats. These architectures often include automated cybersecurity monitoring systems, workforce education, training and awareness.
In today’s digital business environment, organizations are faced with the challenge of protecting their network from threats that are not always easy to detect. APCON’s industry-leading network visibility and security solutions can help. By delivering the right network traffic to the appropriate security monitoring tools, APCON’s solutions eliminate visibility gaps and reduce the risk of cyber exposure.
In 2018, 64%* of cybersecurity incidents were related to insider negligence. Since employees share sensitive data over their network on a daily basis, a network can be compromised by employees who are knowingly divulging information or individuals who are unintentionally exposing data. Online safety and security has become a shared responsibility for organizations everywhere.
With this shared responsibility, everyone has a role in securing their part of cyberspace as individual actions have a collective impact on the company. Here are a few ways you can help keep your company’s network protected:
• Enable stronger authentication. Always enable stronger authentication for an extra layer of security beyond the password that is available on most major email, social media and financial accounts (e.g., multi-factor authentication that can use a one-time code texted to a mobile device).
• Make stronger passwords. Use complex passwords with a combination of numbers, symbols, and letters. Use unique passwords for different accounts and change your passwords regularly.
• Keep a clean machine. Update the security software, operating system and web browser on all of your devices. Keeping your security software up to date will prevent attackers from taking advantage of known vulnerabilities.
• When in doubt, throw it out. Links in email are often the way cybercriminals compromise your computer. If it looks suspicious (even if you know the source), delete it.
• Total network visibility. IT departments need to have a solution in place that provides total network visibility. Ensuring mission-critical IT infrastructures are protected and monitored is paramount for any organization.
Protecting your company’s data will continue to become more and more complex. To ensure potential threats don’t go undetected, make sure you have total visibility into your network. APCON’s family of network monitoring solutions provide visibility, improve security and optimize monitoring tool efficiency for any network environment. For more information about APCON’s visibility solutions, visit www.apcon.com/solutions-overview.
This October, APCON is joining with the Department of Homeland Security to raise cybersecurity awareness across the nation during National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (NCSAM). Learn more about NCSAM and how to protect yourself from threats online at www.dhs.gov/ncsam.
* Reported by The Ponemon Institute.